We at BracesPlus near Waxhaw, NC understand that adult orthodontic treatment with braces is an investment of time and money for our patients, and by following Dr. Richard E. Graham’s list of best practices patients end treatment with the best end results and learned oral care disciplines.
5 Best Practices While Living With Braces
1. Maintain Good Oral Hygiene Habits. This system requires good brushing and flossing regimens. Dr. Graham will instruct you on how to clean your braces properly and how to floss without interfering with your archwires. While conscientious dental hygiene should already be part of your daily routine, it is important to hike up your oral hygiene habits by brushing after every meal, flossing frequently, and using mouthwash regularly. Continuing to see your dentist every 6 months is also very important.
2. Eat a Healthy Diet. Because of their construction and position in your mouth, braces do put some limits and what foods you can eat during your treatment. Dr. Graham recommends that his patients use this opportunity to make some healthy lifestyle and diet changes. Some types of foods and drinks that you should stay away from are sugary, sticky, chewy, and acidic foods or drinks. Candies, chewing gum, and soda should all be removed from your diet. Crunchy and hard foods can also cause damage and should be avoided if possible.
3. Wear a Mouthguard. A great way to avoid any chance of your braces breaking while playing sports is to wear a mouthguard. While this system is a tough, strong design that treats and corrects dental malocclusions and improves your smile, it can sometimes break, and breakage can be painful and cause delays in your treatment time. If your braces break, give us here at BracesPlus a call immediately.
4. Talk to Your Orthodontist. Keep the flow of information between you and Dr. Graham open (e.g., if you’re feeling discomfort during treatment, schedule a visit with Dr. Graham as soon as possible. A simple adjustment may be all that is necessary to relieve your pain).
5. Remember to Smile. Smiling strengthens the muscles that control your mouth and helps to release good, healthy endorphins. We at BracesPlus always tell our patients that smiling keeps your lips from getting caught in your braces. Also, it’s great practice for showing off those pearly whites once your braces come off!
If you’re looking to get the most out of your orthodontic treatment with braces follow these tips from Dr. Graham. And if you live or work in the Waxhaw, NC area and are looking for an orthodontist that is an expert in adult orthodontia contact us to schedule a consultation with Dr. Graham today!
Dr. Richard E. Graham and the team at BracesPlus are experts in braces. If you have any questions pertaining to Invisalign, Invisalign Teen, braces and clear braces in the 28104 zip code area: in Wesley Chapel, Union County, Waxhaw, Weddington, Indian Trail, and Monroe, NC, or would like to schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Graham contact BracesPlus at: 704.821.8008